Thursday, March 11, 2010

Defining 'e-learning'

I'm quickly learning that the term e-learning means many things to many people.  On the surface, I thought the term would be very simple to define but I've since learned that due to slight differences in terms and application, there are a large variety of suggestions.  (Reference some from first reading)

My favourite definition to date, is that of Holmes and Gardner (2006, p. 14).  I believe it to be simplistic yet inclusive; they believe that e-learning is

"online access to learning resources, anywhere and anytime."

They remark that their definition focuses more on the essential components of e-learning than many other academic papers (Holmes & Gardner, 2006).  I believe that their understanding of e-learning is succinct and transparent, with an obvious focus on the online resources to aid and develop the learning process.  It is not focused solely on developing an understanding of applications and programmes, but on using these tools to support learning across the full range of curriculum areas.

Although I consider this definition to have strength, it does raise an important question for me.  Does e-learning really have to be accessible anywhere, anytime?

Case in point, if I have a student who participates well in class, collaborates effectively within their group and develops their understanding through the use of a web 2.0 application, but cannot access the internet from home for the time being, are they still participating actively in the e-learning process?

I believe Holmes and Gardner's definition suggests this student cannot be fully considered involved in the e-learning process as they do not have access to these tools "anywhere and anytime" (2006, p. 14).  I agree that having access to the tools of e-learning is particularly important, but I am not convinced that a student lacking round the clock access should necessarily be considered excluded from e-learning.

I shall continue my search and see if I can find a more suitable definition or better understand this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment